Monday, February 28, 2011

Happy 4th Birthday, Ellie Kate

Four years and five months ago, I sat at my oak dining room table, reading a letter I had just received from your well-versed-in-mothering Aunt Kristy. She had written me a letter, congratulating us on the soon to be arrival of you, and also offering some advice for your daddy and I. She gave us 5 helpful tips, including things like taking time to enjoy life without kids, and buying long sleeved Old Navy maternity shirts. But one particular tip has stuck with me, and it was one of the main reasons for starting this blog.

Helpful tip #3 was to take hundreds, thousands, or even millions of pictures and try my hardest to capture each moment as best as I could, because it wouldn't be long until that itty bitty baby growing inside me would be 4 years old and I would be sitting somewhere thinking, "where did the time go?"

I naively thought to myself, "4 year old? That is so far away. That won't be me for a long time."

Well, here I sit, Ellie Kate, on your 4th birthday, staring out the window, trying to remember the past 4 years and indeed wondering, "where has the time gone?"


Your blonde Goldilocks hair is the envy of any hairdresser, and in your mind it furthers the "princess" look. You have bright blue beaming eyes, that come straight from your daddy, and melt my heart when they are filled with tears. You have an infectious smile that captures everyone's attention as you come into the room. You are just so beautiful.



But what is even more beautiful than your hair, eyes, and smile is what is on the inside, little girl. Your love for your brother and sister is astounding as you sacrifice anything and everything to make them smile. You love to give hugs and kisses and you are so interested in the needs of others. You long to fix anyone's broken hearted or bandaged knee and will stop at nothing to put others first.



Your enthusiasm for Jesus is inspiring and humbling. You love to pray to Jesus and thank him for your family, your pillow, and your toys outside. Every night you ask God to help grandad feel better, to give food to kids who don't have any, and for no one to get in trouble. (I know that "no one" means you and Peyton. And I often say "Amen" to that prayer!)

Although you haven't asked Jesus to be your Savior yet, I know its coming soon. And oh, how your mommy's heart yeans to hear those words of understanding and readiness from you. You are going to do great things for Jesus some day, baby girl. Things that use your courage, tenacity, and tender heart.



I tried to convince you to stay 3 for just a little bit longer. I begged you to pack up the birthday presents and save them for next year, hoping that we could just skip this day altogether. And I even tried to put bricks on your head to keep you from growing anymore! But the truth is, Ellie Kate, your mommy can't wait to watch your grow. I can't wait to see you mature and become the woman God made you to be - the woman I see behind those bright blue eyes and the woman inside that enormous heart. I can't wait to become your best friend and cheer you on as you grow into your potential and into the role God prepared for you - even before time began.

I can't wait, honey. But until that day comes, I'll continue to enjoy watching your grow. I'll continue to enjoy all those hugs and kisses. And I'll continue to enjoy being your mommy.

Happy Birthday, sweetie. And thank you for giving me the greatest gift I have ever received, the gift that my heart so desired, and the gift that keeps on giving - the chance to be somebody's mommy.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a sweet post! Time does go by too fast! My oldest is 12 and my baby will be 6 in April (we have a daughter who is 9). I too thought it was all so far off and then I blinked! Hope you have a fun day with your princess! 4 is a lot of fun! Enjoy!

Kathy
www.mydishwasherspossessed.blogspot.com

octobermomx2 said...

Happy Birthday Sweet Ellie Kate!!!

Kristy said...

Four was my favorite age with Morgan (up to that point--it continues to get even better!). We all thought about EK on the 27th and even Addie would point to the date on the calendar and say it's EK's birthday (she then wanted to know where the party was). Can't believe she is four!!

P.S. I totally didn't remember that letter until I read this post! :)

Unknown said...

I can't believe she's 4 already! I remember the first Wednesday night that you brought her up to church to meet the youth... seems like it was just yesterday! EK gets more beautiful in every picture that I see of her!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...