Saturday, November 12, 2011

Halloween brownies

Every October I am faced with the same dilemma. And the dilemma seemingly grows every year - partially due to the fact that I have new trick-or-treaters every year and the other half attributed to the fact that my trick-or-treaters hand capacity increases annually.

So nearly one week after "national candy day," I am still left with this tremendous pile.

Now for the dilemma. What to do with it?

I went on a google hunt. Found great ideas like cashing it in at your pediatric dentist, sending it to overseas troops, or throwing it away by the fistfuls with each fit my child throws. But then I remembered I was 8 months pregnant. I am not about to drag my kids to the dentist just to have candy-giveaway meltdown. And I love the troops, but I don't even go to the post office when I am not ginormously preggo. And throwing it away by the fistful is against my non-wasteful ways.

And then I hit jackpot. I typed in "Halloween candy recipes."

Up popped an enticing recipe for brownies that included any and all chocolate yumminess you may have lingering in that trick-or-treat bowl.

So I enlisted the help of a little buddy - and we got to work!


If brownies from scratch seem intimidating to you like they do to me, have no fear, its quite simple. As simple as any cookie recipe - and without all the harmful artificial gunk and preservatives.
Next, you tear all the candy goodness into bite-size pieces and throw it into the batter. Oh, and I guess forget what I said about the omission of all those artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives. Or just don't think about it. At least that's what I did.




Throw it all into a 13 X 9 inch greased pan and salivate for the next 35 minutes as your house fills with the aroma of chocolaty goodness.


Its better than any Yankee candle.



Do some clean up while you wait. It will help pass the time and pressure to take them out early and dig in with nothing but a fork and a glass of milk.



I must say, these were some of the best brownies I have ever made. It was a different taste with each brownie. Sometimes you got a kit-kat, other times a milk dud, and then sometimes you'd hit the jackpot and taste the perfection of milky-way.


Errrr, I mean, so I've heard. My husband told me that's what it was like. I wouldn't know.




Here's the recipe for all inquiring minds:


Chocolate Grab-Bag Brownies

"Halloween candy brownies"


Ingredients:


2 cups candy bars, chopped ( any combination that you like!)
1 cup butter ( or margarine)
2 cups sugar
2/3 cup cocoa, Hershey's
4 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:


Heat oven to 350°F Grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Remove wrappers from candies. Cut each candy into 1/2-inch pieces; set aside.

Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Add sugar and cocoa; stir to blend. Remove from heat. Stir in eggs. Stir together flour, salt and baking soda; stir into chocolate mixture. Stir in vanilla and candy pieces. Spread in prepared pan.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan and begin to crack slightly; do not over bake. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.

Yummy. Happy baking!


1 comment:

Hunter C said...

OH MY GOODNESS! It doesn't look like you'll have any left for dinner on monday. That sounds amazingly wonderfully deliciously fattening. Too bad I'm not pregnant and no on can judge me for gaining the extra pounds. I love how you wrote this. I am "following" you now. Enjoy eating!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...