Monday, December 1, 2008

The preacher's wife

There are so many misconceptions about being marrried to a minister. I remember being a little girl and always saying, "I want to be a youth pastor's wife when I grow up." Boy, I had no idea what I was asking for. All I saw was the fun side - hanging out with teenagers, going to summer camps every year, and being married to a man who's passion was seeing lives changed. Don't get me wrong, I still love all these things aboug being married to a pastor, specifically a youth pastor, but like any job, it has its setbacks.

For instance, we can never just pick up and go somewhere for the weekend, because we have to be back at church, ready to go Sunday morning. My refrigerator is never fully stocked because teenagers are constantly raiding it. My husband's phone rings at midnight on a regular basis, two hours after we have all been sound asleep, with a shy eigth grader on the other end asking what time we are leaving for Incredible Pizza tomorrow night. And worst of all, I am given the daunting task of waking, changing, feeding, dressing, buckling, and driving both my darling daughters to church on Sunday all by myself, because Ben has been gone since before the sun was up (we rarely make it on time, but we get closer and closer every week!).

I tell ya, being a youth ministier is definitely a calling, but being his wife is a calling as well. I am blessed beyond measure and I thank God for our job everyday - the good and the bad.

This is the aftermath of this past Sunday morning. Poor kiddo, couldnt even make it through lunch. Maybe being a youth minister's child is a calling as well.


1 comment:

Melinda said...

Girl, I am so with you. My husband is youth and music-so double whammy. Just when I thought I was beginning to get used to everything we had the baby and the whole dynamic changed again. I feel like I don't really know the kids anymore because I hardly get to go to their activities. Do your kids get passed around for all of the youth to hold? I have to go hunt mine down sometimes. P.S. We have the same highchair...it's great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...