Sunday, January 23, 2011

Cookie Connoisseur

So there is this awful rumor going around about me, and it just isn't true.

I've tried denying it, I've tried proving them wrong, and I've even tried to find the source of this heinous act of blasphemy, but it just doesn't seem to work.

And its starting to get on my nerves.

Except I kinda enjoy the attention too.

I know its confusing, just try and keep up...

Whats the rumor you ask?

It all started in college, when I baked my usual batch of chocolate chip cookies. I served them to my family, they oo-ed and ahh-ed (like any good family should), and I took a few back to the dorm with me. I set them out by the hall microwave (the common grounds of any dorm hall), with this simple note -

"Enjoy! - Love, Meredith (Rm. 104)"


It wasn't five minutes later before I had a knock on my door. I opened, only to find a chocolate breathed skinny freshman girl, begging for the chocolate chip cookie recipe.

"Uhhh, it's just the recipe on the back of the bag."

To which she replied, "Liar!"

And I've been hearing it ever since. Maybe not with as much animosity as that timid freshman, but I hear it a lot. From.....

"I've used the recipe on the back of the bag, and my cookies don't taste nuttin like that."

to....

"C'mon, just give us the secret ingredient."

and even....

"Fine! I'll just ask your husband." (Good luck with that one. He probably doesn't even know where I keep the spatula. Or even the use of a spatula. Or even the word spatula.)

And since that fateful February day, when I was first given the title, "Liar," I have made at least 500 dozen of these delectable morsels.

And I PROMISE I use the recipe on the back of the bag.

I make the dough....



And it makes these cookies....

They are pretty yummy, firm on the outside, but goo-ey in the middle.



I have to hide them far enough from the front of the counter, or this happens....

This particular batch went to hubby's work. I made the mistake of sending a few dozen last Christmas, and I receive subtle "hints" from them every once in a while.
I'm starting to limit my candidacy process, though. Its come down to this...

  • I will make them upon the request from ANY pregnant woman.
  • I will always make them for my husband or father-in-law.
  • And for the rest of you, you can make your check out payable to "Meredith - the prettiest cook in all the land."



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...