Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Great Blogging Challenge - Day 7

Just call me a Rule Follower!

Day 7 - Nicknames you have and why you have them.

The only real nickname I have ever been awarded (besides mom, mommy, mommy-dearest, and yo-mom!) is Diffy.

Of course, this came from the mouth of my lovely older brother.

Don't siblings give the best nicknames? For instance, I can't get EK and P to stop calling their brother "Stoner." Someday, they will understand. But for now, they continue to do it - mostly to drive me nuts, I'm sure.

The story goes something like this:

Neal, being three years older than me, was still in his fumbling-around-with-words-and-pronunciation stage, and when his darling, perfect, adorable baby sister was born, he began to call her Mere-dif. Of course, as any good parent would, they made encouraged Neal to make it a little cuter by calling me Mere-diffy. But like a good American, Neal got lazy and eventually dropped the "Mere" and just suck with "diffy."

So there ya have it.

I know what you are thinking. Diffy isn't that bad of a nickname. In fact, you might even things its cute.

But it is cute when you go to junior high?

Or when you graduate high school?

Or how about when it is called out to you as you are standing on the threshold of your new dorm room?

Or how about when you go to summer camp and all the counselors make you tell the story of how you got that nickname, and then they develop that into a new nickname - Different Strokes.

Or how about when your cousins still call you that when wishing you happy birthday on your facebook wall?

Or how about when you are a mom, and your children look at you weird when their uncle calls you that To.This.Day.

Is it still cute?

I suppose it is. I mean, I still answer to it.



1 comment:

octobermomx2 said...

Awww... I've always thought it was cute :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...