Friday, November 5, 2010

The Great Blogging Challege - Day 9

Aren't you sad its almost over? Well, start your own!

Day 9 -A letter to your parents.

I have been somewhat dreading this post.

Not because my parents leave me void of words. No, the exact opposite is my problem.

I am not sure I can adequately express onto paper just how much they have meant to me, and subsequently, how much they have meant to my husband and children

But, try I must.

Dear Mom,

Although I call you mom, the name mentor, teacher, and best friend, are probably more appropriate words to call you. It sometimes seems like God designed you specifically for me, and I am oh so thankful.

As a young girls, you taught me the importance of upholding our family name and respecting my daddy. You encouraged me to dreams big dreams and never take no for an answer. You gave me a love for writing and encouraged my creative side. You always allowed me to try, even when you knew I would fail. And you taught me to be a good friend, even when others turned their back on me.

As a teenager, you encouraged me to soar my wings and be independent. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been to send you 14 year old daughter halfway around the world to teach English to Polish teenagers, but it is because of your sacrifice, and your encouragement that I soared my rings, and subsequently altered my life forever. You threw the best backyard parties and always made our home a place I wanted to be. You put on your "cheer mom" shirt and screamed your lungs out every February in Dallas. And you listened to me cry my eyes out over broken hearts and broken relationships.

Since becoming a wife and mom, you have taken on yet another role. You are still my cheerleader, still my secret keeper, and still my best friend. But now, you are a mentor. As I face life's most difficult challenges of marriage and motherhood, you are always there, pointing me back to the Bible and pointing me to the truth. This past year has been a daunting one for me, and you have seen my heart hurt more than any mom would like. You have hurt right along with me and have been my only consistent. You never judge, never question, never criticize. You always encourage, always offer hope, and always speak Scripture. You will never truly know how important you have been to me this past year.

I tell you often, but probably not enough. I am proud to be your daughter, and love you more everyday. God blessed me mightily when he allowed me to be your daughter. Thank you for who you have been, who you are, and who you will be.



Dear Dad,


While mom might be my best friend and closest confidante, you are my hero. It is because of you that our family remains. It is because of you that our family has a testimony that offers hope and healing to families left broken and bruised. It is because of you that I whispered an innocent prayer, calling our for a Savior that would change my life forever. And it is because of you that I married the man of my dreams.

As a little girl, I watched you make a tremendous stand for my family and I will always be indebted to you for honoring God and keeping our family intact. You loved unconditionally and unceasingly - just as Jesus does. While those few years were probably very difficult for all of us, they are still filled with positive memories, so thank you.

As a young teenager, you took me on date nights and showed a genuine interest in me. Our evenings at the go-cart ring and the local ice cream parlor are some of my most cherished memories. My high school girlfriends still talk about "cool Mr. L" and his midnight pizza runs. I remember our trips to Washington DC and Kansas City. I remember when you took me jean shopping, and you were so good to smile and nod. And I remember sitting on a curb of a local college, as we shared a box of pizza and a liter of Sprite. It was then you poured out your heart for my future, begging me to settle for nothing less than God's best. I didn't understand at the time, but I would in two weeks - when I would meet my groom.

You were so good to not laugh to my face when I told you that I had met the man I wanted to marry. Instead, you promised to pray and promised to look into him further. Unannounced to me, you began meeting with Ben weekly for almost 9 months, protecting both my heart and his. You promised to stop at nothing to find the best for your daughter, and let me assure you dad - you hit the jackpot. Four years later, you gave me away and officiated the most beautiful wedding I have ever seen. You cried, you coughed, and you made the audience stand for almost eight minutes, but I mostly remember the love in your eye as you saw your daughter marry a man who had become a friend.

Thank you dad, for not giving up there. You continue to mentor Ben and I and continue to offer us hope and encouragement as we sometimes stand alone and without promise. Your strength through adversity gives us a hope for the future, and reassures us that God does have a plan. You paved the way for us. Thank you for showing me a little piece of Jesus.

And thank you for teaching me how to hide my gum.




Mom and Dad, you have provided memories to last a lifetime, and have been a large part in our ability to make memories with our own family. Your grandchildren adore you, and I am so glad they have a Memaw and Poppy that points them to Jesus. You have begun a legacy that will not soon be forgotten.

I love you with every ounce of my being. It is an honor to carry your name, and I hope that I will always wear it well.




Love,
Diffy, Princess, & Motor-mouth

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...