Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Happy Birthday to ME!

It seemed like an average Wednesday.

I woke to the sounds of a crying 10 month old, the shrills of two silly girls, and the sounds of a newspaper being eagerly read by their father.

I felt the same. I was overly tired and regretting my decisions to stay up and watch Dancing With the Stars until 11:00 last night. My mind was flooded with the impending chores that overwhelmed my to-do list, and of course, I had no idea what was on the menu for dinner tonight.

Yep, pretty typical day.

Except for one thing - ITS MY BIRTHDAY!

Now any mom can tell you, that birthdays for us are pretty un-eventful. Unless you count cleaning up potty training accidents, mopping the floor, folding six loads of laundry, and playing dress-up with your three year old "eventful happenings."

I was given the greatest birthday present a girl could ask for, though.

No, it wasn't a Le Creuset, a day at the spa, or a mall shopping spree.

Those are on my Christmas list, silly.

No, I got something even better.

After sleepily flopping down the stairs, I grabbed a bowl of cereal and sat on the couch to relax for one more minute until daddy left for work.

My little man came briskly crawling to my feet.

He has radar for food.

He stood sweetly, giving me those eyes, practically pleading for a bite of my granola.

How could a girl resist? "No, honey. Maybe when you are a little bit older."

And then...it happened.

"Mama."


After giving him the biggest grin of my life, I quickly screamed at Ben to get his hiney in here and make sure I hadn't just hallucinated.

"Mama." AHHH! He did it again!

Stone has been saying "Dada" for a good month and a half, but never rewarded all of my hard work with a "mama." Until today.


I can't believe Ben thought to capture this moment. I am so glad, because it was the best birthday present a girl could ask for.


I am so glad I get to be his mommy.


2 comments:

Lindsey Claire said...

Aww, that's so sweet and exciting! Happy Birthday!! :)

Christy said...

I HAVE to stop reading your blog! It always makes me cry. :) The best sound in the entire world to hear! :) Happy Birthday Meredith! (Seriously, bawling my eyes out. I'm a little too hormonal today or something. lol)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...