Sunday, October 19, 2008

My birth story - part 1


Ok, Ok, Ok.... So I have had several requests (over the past 10 weeks) to post my birth story somewhere. I fully inteded on doing that, partially to let my friends and family know that wonderful experience I had, but also so that I can look back and remember that precious time. I hope I havent forgotten anything, but I figured, better late than never. Plus, you can all stop bugging me about writing it out!


It may take me several posts to put it all up. Its a long story that entails many parts. As many of you know, I chose to have this birth (my second birth) with a midwife. That is where my birth story begins....
I had a C-section with my first baby, and overall had a pretty cruddy experience. I didnt feel like I was being listened to, it was a very impersonal experience, not to mention the terrible recovery. I did, however, have a healthy beautiful litte girl, and that is all that matters. I knew I wanted more with the next one though.
A good friend of mine was planning on having her baby with a midwife at a birthcing center that was very near my house. She told me that her midwife was a Christian who's goal was to allow every woman to have their own personal birth experience in the way that God intended it to be. When I became pregnant, without much thought, Ben and I went and checked out the birthing center. We laughed at the thought of probably seeing all these hippie moms who probably wouldnt relate to us at all. The minute we walked in, we felt the peace of God on that place. After meeting Ann - it sealed the deal. She spent an hour answering all our questions and reassuring us that even after a c-section, she felt very confident that we could have whatever birh plan we desired. She even took the time to love on and get to know our oldest daughter, who was 12 months at the time.
Throughout the pregnancy, I saw Ann every month and then every week as my due date grew near. As oppose to my experience with the doctors with my first pregnancy, each visit was as long as I wanted it to be, I could ask as many questions as I wanted, I ALWAYS saw my midwife, and she remembered me every time. Those many not seem like big things, but compared to my OB visits, I almost cried when I left the office everytime. I knew I was in good hands.
Ann was not the only one that made a lasting impression on my birth story. Starting at week 20, I also saw a chiropractor that specialized in pregnancy and children. Dr. Cindy was such a sweet addition to my experience. It was as if the Lord had created a team perfectly designed for me. Dr. Cindy turned out to be a doctor, an encourager during my birth, a lifesaver during the pushing :), and a mentor for healthcare for my children. I couldn't and still couldnt do it without her. Her husband now takes care of our children's health needs, and he couldnt be a better fit for my kiddos. Does God know what he is doing or what?
People ask me a lot, "weren't you worried about the pain?" I know it sounds funny, but I didnt really think about it a lot. When I chose to have a midwife and to do it all natural, my mind didnt immediatly become consumed with "WHAT AM I DOING!" The Lord gave me such a sweet peace about it. And throughout my pregnancy, I was continually reminded that God had created my body to do this, and I could do it. Even the night I went into active labor and I knew I was going to have her, I wasnt scared like I was with the first. I knew I was exactly where the Lord wanted me to be, and I wouldnt have wanted to be anywhere else.
Looking back, I dont know how we ended up at Gentle Beginnings Birth Center, but it was God ordained and one of the best decisions we ever made. More to come....

2 comments:

JB and Cindy said...

Awe, I just got a free moment between feedings to read your blog. Thanks for the precious words about me :)! You made my day! I can't wait for you guys to meet our lil' Harper... You are making me look forward to posting my birth story. Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to read the rest; it seems like an eternity ago!

Mommypotamus said...

Yay for sharing your VBAC story!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...